Who we are
BIRN Consultancy is an analysis, advisory and corporate investigation consultancy with a regional focus on the Balkans. Unlike our competitors, we are based in the Balkans, in close proximity to the variety of information that our clients need to navigate the web of complexity that the region represents from a political, business, regulatory and compliance point of view. Uniquely, our team of analysts and experts combines a mix of deep local knowledge together with an understanding of the needs and best practices of our clients based outside the region.
- Moldova To Create ‘Anti-Propaganda Centre’ to Counter Russian DisinformationPresident says new 'informational defence centre' will address Kremlin propaganda aimed at sowing divisions in society and 'weakening trust in our state'.
- Erdogan Election Victory in Turkey Celebrated Across BalkansEthnic Turkish and Muslim communities all over the Balkans have greeted Erdogan’s victory in Turkey's presidential elections with euphoria, reflecting his high profile in the region.
- Erdogan Declares Victory in Turkey’s Presidential Run-OffDespite a deepening economic crisis and concerns about his authoritarianism, President Erdogan has secured another five-year mandate to rule Turkey, leaving the opposition in despair.
- Slain Kosovo Serb Politician’s Widow Testifies in Murder TrialKosovo Serb politician Oliver Ivanovic's widow testified that her husband, who led an opposition party, didn’t express any concerns to her about his safety before he was gunned down in 2018.
- The ‘Big Brother’ Factor: How Reality TV Winner Aided Albanian Socialists’ Election VictoryThe winner of the popular reality show gave ruling Socialist politicians vital visibility just ahead of the country’s local elections.
- Ex-Minister’s Complaint Lifts Lid on North Macedonia Prison DiscriminationIt took a high-profile prisoner’s public complaint to lift the lid on the discrimination suffered by female inmates in North Macedonia.
- Archive Documents Reveal Dissent Did Exist in Communist AlbaniaReports written by Albanian academics who were allowed to travel abroad and official documents detailing students’ nonconformist tendencies show that some citizens were critical of the country’s authoritarian communist-era regime.
- Albanian TV Election Coverage Unfairly Favoured Big Parties, Monitoring ShowsData from media monitoring shows that during the recent local election campaign, TV networks gave little airtime to smaller parties and so violated the legal requirements on balanced reporting.